Last year we published a post highlighting our top accomplishments of 2009. It’s been getting a lot of traffic recently, so I figured that it’s about time I make a similar list of top successes in 2010.
(1) Parity for HD – In 2010, we worked with the Huntington’s Disease Society of American to persuade 155 Representatives to cosponsor the HD Parity Act (HR 678). We also persuaded 180 candidates for Congress to complete and return our candidate survey in support of the HD Parity Act and funding for HD research.
(2) Get Seizure Smart! – We reached 2.25 million Americans through the Get Seizure Smart! campaign. Organized with the Epilepsy Foundation, the campaign had a simple call to action: Distribute the Get Seizure Smart! quiz to family, friends and coworkers. More than 2,000 people responded and 95% said they’d do it again.
(3) Shaking the Tree – We created a corporate and foundation sponsorship marketing plan for National Geographic Education. We focused their messaging on “reach, results and reputation” and created an off-the-shelf corporate sponsorship package that will help the NGE team raise bigger bucks in 2011 and beyond.
(4) Generating Media – We generated significant media coverage, print and online, for the Hanover Investment Group and established them as economic “thought leaders.” Placements include Bloomberg News, The Economist and the Financial Times while interviews with the Wall Street Journal and Reuters may lead to future coverage.
(5) Get the Bug! – The annual MV Big Flea charity event raised a record $25,665 by selling items donated by members of the community. By being interesting and using low-cost word-of-mouth communications tactics, we’ve also generated 50,000 visitors to our website. Not bad for an elementary school PTA fundraiser.
(6) Congress Responds – The PAD Coalition is seeking better coverage to test for atherosclerosis of the legs, also known as clogged leg arteries. In 2010, we succeeded in having a key provision included in the Affordable Care Act (health care reform). We also generated a letter from 15 Representatives in support of our key policy directive.
Filed under: Advocacy, Alexandria, communications, digital, Grassroots, Health Care, Marketing, Politics, Social Media | Tagged: epilepsy, epilepsy foundation, get seizure smart, Hanover Investment Group, HD Parity Act, HDSA, huntington's disease, joseph lamountain, mimi carter, MV Big Flea, National Geographic Education, PAD Coalition, peripheral arterial disease, Robert Dugger |